Wednesday, December 10, 2008

French Toast

Don't know what to do when your bread is getting dry & going stale? Here's the best recipe for that. I love to use fresh bread as well, as they have this really soft chewy texture... Usually people don't like to eat bread when it's not that fresh anymore, you can tell from the dry texture. So before the expiry date arrives & the green mold invades in, try this! Best for breakfast & tea or in my case, anytime I feel like to! Of course, there's many different version of french toast, this isn't the authentic one even, I think but definetky the easiest... I learnt this from my mom...

INGREDIENTS:

  • Bread - sliced loaf, not buns type... [For this I use half a loaf]
  • Salt
  • Egg ~ 3-5 [Depends on the size/grade]
  • Sugar -3-5 tbsp
  • Oil for deep frying


DIRECTIONS:

1. In a bowl-plate, beat eggs with a bit of salt & the sugar. Egg-sugar ratio can be 1:1full tbsp or 1:2 full tbsp.

2. I prefer to cut bread into halves rather than leaving it in 1 whole slice or triangles, it eases the frying proces. But then again up to you.

3. Heat the oil for deep frying (the depth can be as long as it covers half of the bread).

4. When the oil is getting hot, you can start coating the bread with the egg & quickly put it in the frying pan. If you're using fresh bread, you just need to coat it lightly. If you're using the dry bread, let the bread soak up the egg a little bit so that you'll get a softer bread later. Make sure you turn down the heat, since the egg has sugar in it, it will caramelize, giving a golden brown color, if the oil is too hot, the sugar will burn too quickly & give it a burnt-brown coor instead.



5. Put the fried bread on kitchen towel to remove excess oil. Serve. You can serve with butter & sugar dust, or with jam of your choice or whatever. I love to have it just lke that, with tea. Or you can be atypical Malay & eat it with chilli sauce MAGGI [awu, mesti MAGGI nyanta!] like my sibling does... Like my late dad did... [I miss you babah~]
P/S: I still have not figured out what's so french about this toast... Haha...

No comments:

Post a Comment